The Applicant agrees to and accepts these rules and the decisions of HALO BRANDED SOLUTIONS (“HALO”). The HALO Scholarship Program (the “Scholarship Program”) ends at 11:59 p.m. CST on November 28, 2016 (the “Deadline”). As of November 29, 2016, the HALO Scholarship Program (the "Scholarship Program") deadline has been extended. The HALO Scholarship Program ends at 11:59 p.m. CST on December 9, 2016. No entries received after the Deadline will be considered.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The HALO Scholarship Program is open to only those legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of application and who are currently enrolled (or have been accepted to enroll) in an accredited post-secondary institution of higher learning (e.g. college or university).
Past HALO Branded Solutions Scholarship winners, current employees, officers, directors and agents of HALO and its related companies, as well as of any company that manufacturers, supplies or distributes promotional products (including organizations that primarily provide support to the promotional products industry) members of their immediate families (defined as spouse, parents, siblings and children), persons residing at the same address and those deemed by HALO to be affiliated with any of the foregoing persons are not eligible to win. Void where prohibited.
2. HOW TO ENTER: To enter, complete a scholarship submission (the “Application”) via the form on HALO’s scholarship webpage (HALO.com/scholarship) no later than Deadline. Limit one (1) Application per person.
Application must include: name, phone number, date of birth (month, day and year), name of Applicant’s accredited post-secondary institution of higher learning (e.g. college or university), 100 words or less answering the following question: the following question: How is your academic track (classes you've taken, your major and/or internships) preparing you to think and act like a marketer in your future career?, and include 400-600 word essay, works cited, copy of most current transcript, and a letter of recommendation, all in PDF format.
No substitutions of new drafts or corrected pages will be accepted once you have submitted your original Application. Written responses that are deemed obscene, pornographic, libelous, plagiaristic or otherwise objectionable will be disqualified.
All Applications become the property of HALO and will not be returned. HALO assumes no responsibility for lost, late, misdirected, or unintelligible entries. By submitting an Application, Applicant fully and unconditionally accepts and agrees to these Official Rules and the decisions of HALO, which are final and binding.
3. SELECTION OF POTENTIAL WINNERS: HALO seeks eligible Applicants who follow directions and submit Applications that are well-written and clearly and creatively address the topic. On or about December 12, 2016, HALO will select one (1) potential winner based on the criteria of: a) 100-word answer to marketing question, b) transcript documenting GPA of 3.5 or better, c) letter of recommendation, d) works cited and essay graded by a) relevance to and knowledge of topic (35 points), b) originality and creativity (35 points), c) quality of writing (15 points) , and d) appropriate citations (15 points).
HALO Branded Solutions will select at least three (3) of the submitted Applications as the potential Prize Winning Application. The potential winner will be notified by e-mail or mail, at which time he/she will be required to sign further documentation as explained below.
HALO shall have no liability for any potential winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by the potential winner for any reason. HALO reserves the right to choose less than three Scholarship Prize Recipients if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Applications.
Portions of the Prize Winning Application may be posted on HALO’s Website or used in other marketing materials without further compensation or notice to the winner.
4. FIRST PRIZE: One (1) winner will receive a Scholarship Prize in the amount of one-thousand five-hundred U.S. dollars ($1,500). SECOND PRIZE: One (1) winner will receive a Scholarship Prize in the amount of one-thousand U.S. dollars ($1,000). THIRD PRIZE: One (1) winner will receive a Scholarship Prize in the amount of five-hundred U.S. dollars ($500). The Scholarship Prize will be in the form of a check made payable to the accredited post-secondary institution of higher education attended by the Scholarship Prize Recipient (once the Scholarship Prize Recipient has enrolled in an accredited post-secondary institution of higher education and submitted proof of enrollment to HALO).
Scholarship Prize Recipient must submit proof of enrollment upon request. Scholarship Prize may not be assigned, transferred, or changed, except at the sole discretion of HALO. No cash equivalent prize will be awarded.
The awarding of any Scholarship Prize is contingent upon full compliance with these Official Rules. Applicants agree to be bound by Official Rules and agree that if any Scholarship Prize Recipient fails to provide proof of identity, refuses to provide required affidavit, refuses to complete and provide any requested tax forms (including IRS W-9 form), is found to have violated the Official Rules or otherwise does not meet eligibility criteria, Scholarship Prize will be forfeited and the Applicant who submitted the Application with the next highest score will become an alternate potential Scholarship Prize Recipient. Applicants understand that HALO is not liable for injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising from participation in this Scholarship Program and administration of the Scholarship Program or in the announcement of the Scholarship Prize. Any applicable taxes on prizes are sole responsibility of Scholarship Prize Recipients. If required by the IRS, Scholarship Prize Recipients will be issued 1099 tax forms.
5. PRIVACY: By submitting an Application, you acknowledge that HALO and its related companies may also call and/or send you information it thinks may be of interest to you.
6. PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited, by accepting a Scholarship Prize, the Scholarship Prize Recipients agree that HALO may, without any limitation or further compensation or notice, use his or her name, voice and/or likeness in any and all media, worldwide, for the purpose of advertising and promoting the Website, HALO, the Scholarship Program, or any other promotion, contest or sweepstakes sponsored by HALO.
7. OWNERSHIP: By submitting an Application, you acknowledge and agree that: (a) HALO will own your Application, including your written response submission, and (b) as between you and HALO, HALO will own all publishing rights in and to the Application and the written response submission. Each Applicant hereby irrevocably grants, transfers, sells, assigns and conveys to HALO, its successors and assigns, all present and future right, title and interest of every kind and nature whatsoever, including without limitation, all copyrights, and all rights incidental, subsidiary, ancillary or allied thereto (including, without limitation, all derivative rights) in and to the Application and the written response submission(s) for exploitation throughout the universe, in perpetuity, by means of any and all media and devices whether now known or hereafter devised (the “Rights”). HALO shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to edit, composite, morph, scan, duplicate, or alter, the Application and written response submission(s) for any purpose which HALO deems necessary or desirable, and each Applicant irrevocably waives any and all so-called moral rights they may have in the application and written response submission(s) submitted by him or her. Each Applicant hereby acknowledges that such Applicant does not reserve any rights in and to the Application and the written response submissions.
8. DISPUTE RESOLUTION: Except where prohibited, by participating, Applicant agrees that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of participants and HALO and their agents shall be governed by and construed exclusively in accordance with the laws of Illinois without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law or any jurisdiction. Notwithstanding any other provision in this Agreement to the contrary, all claims and disputes arising under or relating to this Agreement are to be settled by binding arbitration in the state of Illinois or another location mutually agreeable to the parties. The arbitration shall be conducted on a confidential basis pursuant to the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any decision or award as a result of any such arbitration proceeding shall be in writing and shall provide an explanation for all conclusions of law and fact and shall include the assessment of costs, expenses, and reasonable attorneys' fees. Any such arbitration shall be conducted by an arbitrator experienced in business and shall include a written record of the arbitration hearing. The parties reserve the right to object to any individual who shall be employed by or affiliated with a competing organization or entity. An award of arbitration may be confirmed in a court of competent jurisdiction. Applicant agrees that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to this Scholarship Program, or awarding of the prizes, shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in Illinois and Applicant hereby consents and submits to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. Except where prohibited, by participating in this Scholarship Program, Applicant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Scholarship Program, or awarding of the Scholarship Prizes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in this Scholarship Program but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any participant be permitted to obtain awards for and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitations or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above may not apply to you.
9. REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES/INDEMNIFICATION: Each person who enters this Scholarship Program represents and warrants to HALO as follows: (i) the Application, including the written response submission is the Applicant’s own original, previously unpublished, and previously unproduced work; (ii) the written response submission is wholly original with Applicant and as of the date of submission, is not the subject of any rights of any other person or entity; (iv) the written response submission does not and will not violate any applicable laws, and meets the Submission Requirements set forth above. Each Applicant hereby agrees to indemnify and hold HALO harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations or agreements of Applicant hereunder.
10. FURTHER DOCUMENTATION: Except where prohibited, potential Scholarship Prize Recipients may be required to complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Publicity/Liability Release, and/or Copyright Assignment Prize Recipient. If notification to a potential Scholarship Prize Recipient is returned as undeliverable, the Applicant with the Application with the next highest score may become an alternate potential Scholarship Prize Recipient.
11. NO OBLIGATION TO USE: HALO shall have no obligation (express or implied) to use any winning Application, or to otherwise exploit a winning Application or continue the development, production, distribution or exploitation thereof, and HALO may at any time abandon the use of the winning Application for any reason, with or without legal justification or excuse, and the Scholarship Prize Recipients shall not be entitled to any damages or other relief by reason thereof.
12. IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ – GENERAL RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY: By entering the Scholarship Program, each Applicant acknowledges and agrees that HALO, its related companies, affiliates, and each such company’s respective employees, officers, directors and agents are not responsible for any costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with: (i) incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries or for failure to receive Applications due to any cause, including without limitation human, transmission, or technical problems, failures, or malfunctions of any kind, whether originating with sender, or otherwise, that may limit an Applicant’s ability to participate in the Scholarship Program; or (ii) any injury or damage resulting, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participation in the Scholarship Program and/or use of any prize, including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, or any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages related to or based on the Applicant’s right of publicity or privacy, or the Applicant’s claim that he or she has somehow been defamed or portrayed in a false light. HALO assumes no responsibility for any damage to an Applicant’s computer system which is occasioned by accessing the Website or participating in the Scholarship Program, or for any computer system, phone line, hardware, software or program malfunctions, or other errors, failures, delayed computer transmissions or network connections that are human or technical in nature, or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, or the failure to capture any information. This scholarship program is subject to all U.S. federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
13. HALO’S RIGHT TO MODIFY, SUSPEND OR TERMINATE: In the event HALO is prevented from continuing with the Scholarship Program by any event beyond its reasonable control, then HALO shall have the right in its sole discretion to modify, suspend, or terminate the Scholarship Program.
14. GENERAL PROVISIONS: HALO reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the application process or the operation of the Scholarship Program or the Website, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, to be submitting responses dishonestly or inaccurately, or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of any entrant, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. If an Application is confirmed by HALO to have bene erroneously deleted, lost or destroyed, the entrant’s sole remedy shall be another Application, if time permits. HALO’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or of any other provision.